Wednesday, June 13, 2007

 

After spending the past two hours reading the blogs of strangers:

Every person who is not a total idiot hates it when people mess up your/you're, their/there/they're. Every person who is not an idiot will, when reading on past blogs and finding that they made one of those mistakes (not because they're as stupid as the other people who make those same mistakes, but because they're such fast typers, or didn't proof read, or whatever other legitimate reasons can be fairly assumed), feel a twinge of, "Oh shit. Now people think I'm a mental retard. They'll think I don't even know the difference between 'your' and 'you're.' So-and-so's opinion of me is ruined slightly, even if it's sub-consciously, because I used the wrong 'it's.'"

But the worst, most hatable thing relating to the different usages is when people are inconsistent in their blogs. In one paragraph it seems like they're TRYING to fuck up every one; in the next, they get them all right.

I also hate when people edit 'sh*t,' but not 'bitch,' 'd@mn,' but not 'ass.' I also hate when people use the '@' for the 'a' in 'damn.' Fuck that Sh!t.

(and when I start using quotation marks and these things: ' (what the fuck are those called??), and feel like I can't stop. I realize I am probably using them incorrectly and breaking the rules of the ', and everyone is sub-consciously (and consciously) hating my guts)

Oh yeah, and when people write a blog and then realize it wasn't a good representation of their wit or brilliance, so they erase it. I think you have to live with your blogging errors. Atone by making the next one good, not erasing this one, butthole.

I don't hate editing one hate blog post three times because I realized some other things I totally hate.

Comments:
and that's one to grow on.
 
i think if you complain about someone messing up their theres (or there theirs) then you are an idiot. there are like four sentences out of an infinite amount of sentences where you can't figure out what there they're talking about. it's not like you have to specify when you're talking.
 
Said the guy without the shift key.

I'm with heather. So long as this isn't a comment on my typing. You know what else gets my goat? None other than element atomic number 59, a.k.a. Praseodymium.
 
I can't say any of these things bother me.
I don't think it matters to much what sort of grammar people use as long as the sentence can be understood.
I would much rather read a sentence with terrible grammar than one whose meaning is unclear. The purpose of language is to communicate. Good grammar can aid in that communication, but often it is just arbitrary.
As brian said, 99.99% of the time, regardless of which there/their/they're is being used, the correct meaning shines through via context.
One aspect of being counter-culture seems to be the desire to not worry about social norms which are totally arbitrary and pointless, I want to use that same counter-culture sensibility but buck the trends of grammar. I guess what I am trying to say is, fuck grammar.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?